Required Qualifications & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering degree from ABET accredited institution required.
- Licensed Professional Engineer in the state of New Jersey.
- Five (5) years prior experience in bridge inspection for the NJDOT and NJTA.
- Ability to work within a group environment to reach mutual goals.
- Good time management and personal motivation for quality work.
- Proven skills in oral and written communications.
- Basic computer skills.
- Ability to use inspection equipment and diving equipment as required.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Lead a team in the inspection of bridges and foundations as required for structural integrity, general safety and continued conformance to specifications and codes.
- Preparation of sketches and in writing draft reports.
- Provide full reports and recommendations to Project Manager.
- Review and interpret plans, blueprints, and site layouts to ensure compliance to legal requirements and safety regulations.
- Measure dimensions and verify level, alignment, and elevation of structures and fixtures to ensure compliance to existing codes.
- Preparation of recommendations for repairs to bridges for review by the Project Manager.
- Use of inspection equipment, including but not limited to; metering devices, tape measures, calipers, ladders, cameras, probing rods, etc.
- Loading and unloading equipment from vehicles and assuring that all equipment is ready for use.
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
- Bridge Inspectors engage in active, and sometimes strenuous work. They are required to physically inspect large bridge structures requiring climbing as well as occasional diving to view structure below water surface. Boat activities and wading required. Ability to lift or carry 20 pounds (minimum). May require working from a mechanical aerial lift or bucket truck, up to 100 ft. high. Requires climbing a ladder, up to 20 ft. high.
- This position can involve spending considerable time outdoors in all types of weather. Traveling and long hours may be required for some assignments.