Pickering, Corts & Summerson, Inc., an award winning, multi-disciplinary engineering/design firm has an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic self-starter to join our company as a Bridge Inspection Team Leader in our Camp Hill, PA office.
This is a mid to senior level position for an individual with extensive experience in inspecting bridges and similar structures using engineering skills to determine structural soundness and compliance with NBIS, and other local, state and federal regulations.
PCS is an equal opportunity employer.
Required Qualifications & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or related field
- EIT certification (or ability to obtain such) preferred
- Experience working with PennDOT preferred; NJDOT experience a plus
- The ability to navigate in and around bridge structures and may require climbing, wading in the waterways, working from a boat, and working in and around traffic
- Must possess a valid U.S. driver’s license
- Willingness to travel within PA, NJ and DE
- Ability to work in a team environment to reach mutual goals
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Basic computer skills, including familiarity with Microsoft Word and Excel
- Experience with MicroStation and AutoCAD software is a plus
Essential Duties / Responsibilities:
- Responsible to plan inspections and lead inspection teams
- Inspect bridges as required for structural integrity, general safety and continued conformance to specifications and codes
- Provide training to Bridge Inspectors and Junior Bridge Inspectors
- Prepare recommendations for maintenance and repairs to bridges
- Review and interpret construction plans and blueprints for use in bridge inspections
- Prepare inspection reports completely for final review by Project Manager
- Use inspection equipment, including but not limited to; metering devices, tape measures, calipers, ladders, cameras, probing rods, etc.
- Prepare load rating calculations for bridges based on Load Factor and Load Resistance Factor Methodologies using various DOT and Commercial Software Packages
- Prepare (design) temporary and permanent repair schemes for critical deficiencies identified during inspections
- Must possess a willingness to work both outside (during all types of weather) and in the office (preparing reports)
- If qualified, function as diver or a tender in performing underwater inspection of appropriate areas of the structures